Ten Things Eyes Reveal Everyday – Which One Have You Noticed?
Ever wondered how powerful a communicator our eyes are in our day-to-day life? See if you can reason exactly how we signal in the following instances using our eyes
- You are at a traffic signal and there is a hawker trying to sell his goods. From just looking at your eyes, he knows whether he should approach you or no. From that distance how does he manage that? It makes his work so much easier!
- You are in a group and there is a practical joke being shared. Glancing around, it is easy to know which people are colluding as one team. How? Is it the way they look at each other? Or the period for which they look at each other? This is also used when a topic not to be discussed gets raised and the “colluder” warns his partner to shut up. How?
- Two people sitting across the room look at each other and from a distance you can make out whether they are getting interested in one another. Is it the number of times they look at each other or the number of times they try to avoid each other’s looks?
- A guy tries to approach a female and he knows whether to be encouraged or discouraged if he just watches her eyes closely enough. Is this limited to females or are even males capable of displaying their interests through their eyes?
- A teacher explaining a lesson in the class can make out which student is not paying attention just by focusing on his eyes. How? Do presenters use this cue to pep up their talk?
6. A policeman knows whether the person being accused is caught by surprise at the accusation by checking out his eyes. How? Is it the fact that he looks into the eye or he avoids looking directly into the eyes? Do job interviewees also get caught this way when they lie with their eyes?
7. Someone walks into the same room as you, and impresses you with their looks. Even if you think that person wouldn’t notice, s/he knows you are checking them out. How?
8. You can instantly make out if a child is up to some mischief, if you look at his eyes. How? Is that a deliberate way nature trains kids to leak their expressions so that they can be protected by elders?
9. You might have heard someone get a compliment that he has “honest” eyes. What does that mean?
10. You can actually threaten a bully back if you use your eyes the right way. How? Is it difficult to put off the fear he wants to see in your eyes when he is around?
Of course, there will be other body language cues, or clusters, which will confirm your theses, but the eyes still have a major role to play. The context and the setting in the background also leave cues as to what is being conveyed by a person’s body language. Share your thoughts on the above, and let me know what other ways you have seen people majorly use their eyes to convey messages or intentions.