Tips For Perfect Handshake
In the Indian setting, most of us are taught by our parents how to get the social greeting of Namaste right. The handshake, frequently used in business scenarios, generally never gets this formal introduction. Getting your handshake right is usually critical since it can save you hours of otherwise trying to make a positive impression on your counterparty. Here are a few quick tips to get you started
- Offer a firm handshake with genuine smile.
- Match the pressure of the other person’s handshake. If the handshake is softer than yours, you might want to let go a little pressure and toughen up if the handshake is firmer. This particular trick might require practice. So go ahead and practice with your friends until you get it right.
- Be sure to maintain eye contact with the person for atleast 3 seconds and call out the name of the person or a greeting along with the handshake.
- In case of a formal setting, offer handshake only if the meeting is pre arranged or the counterpart is a male. Otherwise you would want to wait for the handshake to be initiated by the counterpart.
- If you are a female, offer your hand definitively so that a handshake fumble is avoided.
6. The worst handshake you could offer would be a damp and clammy one. So be prepared for the handshake in advance. Wipe your hands before entering into any meeting.
7. There are lots of ways in which people try to engage in power play while offering a handshake to the counterpart. The handshake is a good way to exercise touch and win trust of the counterpart. It is thus best to avoid trying any power tactics using handshakes.